उत्तराखंडी ई-पत्रिका की गतिविधियाँ ई-मेल पर

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

उत्तराखंडी ई-पत्रिका

उत्तराखंडी ई-पत्रिका

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Woman wishing her Husband Death in British English and Garhwali Folk Song

Comparative Studies in British English and Garhwali-Kumaoni Folks Songs -1

                     Bhishma Kukreti

         The geography may differ, the color will be different in each region, the season may differ but human nature is same all across the world.
 The folk poem creators are genius in finding the inner views of their society and its members.  The following folk songs from British English and Garhwali-Kumaoni languages prove that human wishes are same.
In following British English folk song is about a woman explaining as –
Every Night when I goes to bed
I lie and throw my leg o’er his him
And my hand I clap between his thighs
But I can’t put any courage on him
I wish my husband he was dead
And in the grave I’d quickly lay him
And then I‘d try another one
That’s got a little courage in him
(From The Female Frolic, 1968)

Though, the situation is different but the same psychology comes out from a Garhwali folk song as under –
 केकु बाबाजीन मिडिल पढायो
केकु बाबाजीन मिडिल पढायो
केकु बाबाजीन राठ  बिवायो
बाबाजीन देनी सैंडल बूट
भागन बोली झंगोरा कूट 
बाबाजीन दे छई मखमली साड़ी
सासू नी देंदी पेट भर बाड़ी 
जौं बैण्योंन साड़ी रौल्यों  पाणी
वा बैणि ह्वे गए राजों  राणी 
जौं बैण्योंन काटे रौल्यों को घास
वा भूली गै राजों का पास 
मै छंऊ बाबा राजों का लेख
तब मी पाए सौंजड्या बैख 
दगड्या भग्यानो की जोड़ी सौंज्यड़ी मेरी किस्मत मा बुड्या कोढ़ी 
बांठा पुंगड़ा लड़बड़ी तोर
नी जैन बुड्या संगरादी पोर 
बाबाजीन दे छई सोना की कांघी
सासू ना राखी छै मैना राखी 
(गीत संकलन : डा कुसुम नौटियाल , गढ़वाली नारी : एक लोकगीतात्मक पहचान)

The folk song states as –
O Father! Why did you make me study eighth class?
O Father! Why did you marry me to Rath region (undeveloped region) ?
My father gifted me Sandal
But my luck forced me for pounding cereal    
My father gifted me in marriage a silk Sari
But my in mother law offered me just course food
The sisters were uneducated and were busy in labor works
Those sisters are queen
The sisters did cut grass from jungle
Those sisters are queens
I was father’s darling
My husband is aged old man
My other friends got compatible husband
My husband is Old and weak as leprosy man  
I am sure my husband would not cross first of coming month
My father gifted me golden comb
My mother in law do not offer me clothing

                          Conclusion

Both the British-English folk song and Garhwali folk song are hyperbolic.
When played as drama or sung the above British-English folk song and Garhwali Traditional Song are hilarious and entertaining.
The British-English Traditional song and Garhwali folk song suggest an unhappy marriage.
The British-English Folk Song discusses bodily pleasure directly but Garhwali traditional song does not talk directly the bodily pleasure from mismatched marriage.
Wishing death for husband is just for creating witty situation in British-English Traditional Song and Garhwali folk song.

Reference for British English Folk Song
Kerry Firth, 2012 In Search of a Voice: Women in British Folk Music 1880-2011
 Copyright@ Bhishma Kukreti  bckukreti@gmail.com   20/8/2013
Notes on Comparative Studies in British English Traditional Songs and Garhwali-Kumaoni Folks Songs; Woman wishing her Husband Death in British English and Garhwali Folk Song; Entertaining British English Traditional Songs and Garhwali-Kumaoni Folks Songs; British English Traditional Song and Garhwali-Kumaoni Folks Song discussing unhappy marriage; British English Traditional Songs and Garhwali-Kumaoni Folks Songs illustrate mismatched pairs; Voice of Women in British English Traditional Songs and Garhwali-Kumaoni Folks Songs; Women in British English Traditional Songs and Garhwali-Kumaoni Folks Songs..

No comments:

Post a Comment

आपका बहुत बहुत धन्यवाद
Thanks for your comments