उत्तराखंडी ई-पत्रिका की गतिविधियाँ ई-मेल पर

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

उत्तराखंडी ई-पत्रिका

उत्तराखंडी ई-पत्रिका

Monday, August 15, 2011

Pahadi log Kharab hote hain, I dont like farmer's sons

Garhwali, Swish Folk Songs and American Pop Song criticizing Rural Life

Bhishma Kukreti

Day before, this author got opportunity to meet eminent surgeons Dr. Vimal Nautiyal and Dr Nawani of Dehradun and Dr Jagdish Chandra Burakoti Of Pithoragarh. in Mumbai.

It is a way life of migrated Uttarakhandi that when migrated Uttarakhandi (from hills) meet they definitely talk about the diminishing position of villages, agricultural land changing into forest land, alcoholism and empty villages. We all also discussed about hills of Uttarakhand.

There was subject of ‘Remigration Concept’ in discussion for a while too.

After meeting with famous surgeons of their regions, I thought much about remigration of migrated Uttarakhandis to their villages. However, it is just a dream for migrated Uttarakhandis to re-migrate to their villages.

The Psych of Hill People is Against Settling in Hill Villages

Remigration towards hills by migrated Uttarakhandis is just not possible because the peoples psych is against settling in hill villages. The following two Garhwali (Indian) folk songs of sixties are the strong proof that people want to settle in urban areas.

मेको पाड़ नि दीण पितैजी

मेको पाड़ नि दीण पिताजी मेको पाड़ नि दीण पिताजी

उख पाड़ी लोग खराब होंदन

मेको पाड़ नि दीण पिताजी उख पाड़ी लोग खराब होंदन

मेको पाड़ नि दीण पिताजी

उख फाणु मा बाड़ी खान्दन

मेको पाड़ नि दीण पिताजी उख फाणु मा बाड़ी खान्दन

मेको पाड़ नि दीण पिताजी

उख मा बैणि की गाळी दीन्दन

मेको पाड़ नि दीण पिताजी उख मा बैणि की गाळी दीन्दन

मेको पाड़ नि दीण पिताजी उख पाड़ी लोग खराब होंदन

Dad! Don’t Marry Me in Hills

Dad! Don’t marry me in hills, Dad! Don’t marry me in hills

Bad are the people in hills, there

Dad! Don’t marry me in hills, Dad! Don’t marry me in hills

Dad! Don’t marry me in hills, there

Their food is Fanu and Badi in hills, there

Dad! Don’t marry me in hills, Dad! Don’t marry me in hills

Dad! Don’t marry me in hills, there

Their language is filthy in hills, there

Dad! Don’t marry me in hills, Dad! Don’t marry me in hills

In the above Garhwali folk song, the migrated Uttarakhandi girl is requesting her father not to marry her in hills. The reason, she says that the villagers are not gentle, they use dirty (uncivilized ) language, they take meal of Fanu-Badi an ethnic food. The word ‘Ukh’ (there) of very famous Garhwali folk song of sixties and seventies is clear that the migrated people are far more better than the people of hill-villages.the folk songs are nothing but the mirror of people’s perception and the song shows the people’s perception in settling in plains of India than in Pahad (Hills)

हे ज्योरू ! हे ज्योरू ! मीन दिल्ली जाण

कब आलो ह्यूंद मंगसिर मैना , हे ज्योरू ! हे ज्योरू ! मीन दिल्ली जाण

मीन दिल्ली जाण

प्यायी सिगरेट फींकी चिल्ला प्यायी सिगरेट फींकी चिल्ला

घुमणो को जाणो मीन लाल किल्ला

घुमणो को जाणो मीन लाल किल्ला

कब आलो ह्यूंद मंगसिर मैना , हे ज्योरू ! हे ज्योरू ! मीन दिल्ली जाण

मीन दिल्ली जाण

होटल की रुट्टी उक्खि खाण

आलू प्याज कू बणाई साग , घुमणो जाण मीन करोल बाग़

घुमणो जाण मीन करोल बाग़

हे ज्योरू ! हे ज्योरू ! मीन दिल्ली जाण, आलू गोभी की भुज्जी उखीखाण

आलू गोभी की भुज्जी उखी खाण

कब आलो ह्यूंद मंगसिर मैना , हे ज्योरू ! हे ज्योरू ! मीन दिल्लीजाण

Mother in Law! I’ll Make My Delhi Tour

When comes Winter, Mother in Law! I’ll make my Delhi Tour,

Mother in Law! I’ll make my Delhi Tour

Fill the bottles, fill the bottles, will dine daily at hotels

Ships at the Port, Ships at the Port, there I‘ll visit Red Fort

There I‘ll visit Red Fort

When comes Winter, Mother in Law! I’ll make my Delhi Tour

Alam Bag , Alam Bag , I shall wander in Karol Bag

I shall wander in Karol Bag

When comes Winter, Mother in Law! I’ll make my Delhi Tour

Cauliflower unavailable here, will enjoy potato-cauliflower there.

will enjoy potato-cauliflower there

When comes Winter, Mother in Law! I’ll make my Delhi Tour

The above Garhwali folk song is also a statement of perceiving urban regions being better than rural life. The Garhwali song clearly voice for urban life and rejecting rural life

Es Buurebueblimani nid (I don’t like farmer’s boy)

(A Swiss -German language Children Song)

I don’t like a farmer’s boy

That shows when you look at me –yuhe

I don’t like a farmer’s boy

That shows when you look at me –yuhe

It has to be one, quite handsome and nice

Mustn’t have faults-yuhe

It has to be one, quite handsome and nice

Fidri Fidra fidirallala, fidirallala, fidirallala

It has to be one, quite handsome and nice

Mustn’t have faults-yuhe

And gentleman’s sons without faults

Don’t exist- yuhe

And gentleman’s sons without faults

Don’t exist- yuhe

The above song is famous traditional children song of Switzerland of German speaking people in the country. The Swish folk song also insulting the farmer’s son as done in Garhwali folk song ‘Meko paad ni Deen ..’

The song ‘Not Bad For A Good Ole Boy’ praises City Life against Village Life

There is a song ‘Not Bad For a Good Ole Boy’ in a music Album ‘Dusky Drake’ . Dusty Drake wrote lyric. The lyric praises urban life in comparison to rural life.

The lines are as

He was never voted ‘most likely to succeed ‘

……

And now he is a foreman and he’s home each night by five

Not bad for a farmer’s son

Pretty good for where he comes from

The above Pop song is an American pop song. The song praises the urban life against rural life. The whole song indirectly provides message that the urban life has various advantages than rural life.

The above four songs of different countries (Garhwal, India, Switzerland and America) and different culture are confirmation that today, the people prefer the urban settlement than being in rural areas.

Copyright@Bhishma Kukreti , bckukreti@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

आपका बहुत बहुत धन्यवाद
Thanks for your comments