उत्तराखंडी ई-पत्रिका की गतिविधियाँ ई-मेल पर

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

उत्तराखंडी ई-पत्रिका

उत्तराखंडी ई-पत्रिका

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

ब्योली ब्वाद (मांगळ ) Byoli Bwad: Dialogues between Father-Daughter in Garhwali Wedding Folk Song

Byoli Bwad: Dialogues between Father-Daughter in Garhwali Wedding Folk Song

Bhishma Kukreti

(Abstract: There are examples of wedding songs of dialogues between daughter and parents of Garhwal (India), America or English language, Latvia, Armenia, China, Arabic countries in this write up )


When the marriage procession start journey back from bride house to groom house, the singers sing the following song on behalf of bride. The wedding folk song is very touchy and the females of bride side start crying including bride

ब्योली ब्वाद (मांगळ )

बगीचा का फूल मांजी स्ब्युंन त्वाड , बगीचा का फूल मांजी स्ब्युंन त्वाड

खुकली की बेटी मांजी सब्युंन छ्वाड

मांजी सब्युंन छ्वाड

उठा स्वामी ! कसा घोड़ी , पैटा द्यालै तरफों तैं उठा स्वामी ! कसा घोड़ी , पैटा द्यालैतरफों तैं

ना रोई ब्व़े , रवा बुबाजी ! मिं ससुरास जाणु छौं

मिं ससुरास जाणु छौं

ना र्वावा ब्वाडा जी, ना रो बोडि जी , मिं ससुरास जाणु छौं ना र्वावा ब्वाडा जी, ना रोबोडि जी , मिं ससुरास जाणु छौं

ना रोवा काका जे, ना रो काकी , पराया देस जाणू छौं

पराया देस जाणू छौं

ना र्वावा ममाजी , ना रो ममी जी , पति को संग जाणू छौं , ना र्वावा ममाजी , ना रोममी जी , पति को संग जाणू छौं

रो भैजी , रो बौजी , मिन अब घर बसाण

मिन अब घर बसाण

मेरी दगड्या सबि मै ना भुल्याँ कबि, मेरी दगड्या सबि मै ना भुल्याँ कबि

मी परदेसी ह्व़े गयों अबी

मी परदेसी ह्व़े गयों अबी

Reference : Totaram Dhoundiyal, Garhwali Mangal

Bride Says ….

All plucked the garden flowers

After marriage, Parents leave daughters

Dear husband! Come on! Make horse ready for going from here

Mother! Don’t cry, Father! Don’t cry; me departing for house of my lover

Elder Uncle! Don’t cry, Elder Aunt! Don’t cry; me departing for house of in law

Younger Uncle! Don’t Cry, Younger Aunt! Don’t cry; me departing for new area just now

Maternal uncle! Don’t Cry, Maternal Aunt! Don’t cry; me departing with my protector

Elder brother! Don’t Cry, Sis in law! Don’t cry; from now, my husband is my life partner

Darling friends! Don’t forget me ever.

From now, I am foreigner forever

Father-Daughter Dialogues in Wedding Songs from Other countries

The Garhwali (Indian) song is in sad melodious tone and the song make people cry. The first line is figurative one that as people plucks the flowers, flower has to leave stem and same way the daughter has to leave parent’s house. This song is one of the examples of pathos rapture in Garhwali folk songs with different nature.

There are many father-daughter dance song in English, however, the song ‘Sing me a Song again , daddy’ sung by Famous Philippine icon Jose Mari Chan and lyric Cherie Gil has same similar emotions as the Garhwali folk wedding song ‘Byoli Bwad’ has . the song is as :

Sing me a song daddy by Jose Mari Chan and Cherie Gil

Daughter says –

I am asking your blessing

As I’m about to be wife

Of a man I know who loves me

And I am proud to be his bride

Dad time has come for me leave your side…..

Chinese way of Bride Leaving House

In Chinese traditional wedding custom, bride groom follow the custom. The bride groom bow down before elders to show respect. At the departure of the carriage or the bridal sedan chair, the bride’s parents would a bowl of water and a bowl of rice. Upon leaving, the bride would throw her fan out of window of the carriage or sedan chair that she throws away her bad temper.

Latvian Traditional wedding Culture: Wedding Folk song for Bride leaving her house

On old time, there was a custom in Latvian culture that the bride was made to cry before leaving her parent’s house. The singers used to sing related songs about bride leaving father’s house and the loss of flourishing youth. The song also tells that the bride should leave her tears here in parent’s house to avoid crying in her new house.

Armenian Wedding culture: Wedding Song for Bride Leaving

There are many Wedding folk songs in Armenian culture .

1- As the bride takes the blessing of grandfather the following way

Grandfather ! Bless me, bless me …..

I have eaten your bread

Don’t worry you are worthy …..

2- Harsin Taneloo yerg ( carrying bride)

Don’t cry , Mother, don’t cry….

They are taking me

They are taking a girl

Who grew up in sugar and honey …

My lover’s Red Coloured Horse

Is tied to the pomegranate tree

Arabic Wedding Culture: Bridal song

There tens of wedding folk songs sung in Arabic marriages. The following folk song reflects the old culture too

“Al joz wa’anah zawyah wal ‘ielah wa’anah ghaniyah,’

’Al jiran wa’anah sa iyah”.

[With the husband I am strong. With family I am I am rich and with neighbors I am generous]

Reference: Mashael Maswari Caspi and Julia Ann Blessing, 1993, “O Bride Light of My eyes’ Bridal song of Arab Women in Galilee, Oral Tradition (8/2)

Conclusion:

The above wedding songs of dialogues between father and daughter proof that the dress, the marriage styles may vary but the human emotions are same across the globe

Copyright@ Bhishma Kukreti, bckukreti@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

आपका बहुत बहुत धन्यवाद
Thanks for your comments